Sunday, May 28, 2006

Ok. FRUSTRATION!!!!


What's this, you might ask? You might say that this rumpled mess of knitting looks nothinglike Print o' the Wave Stole. You might be right. In a last minute switcheroo, I started knitting Ene's Scarf instead of the Print o' the Wave, which was driving me absolutely batty trying to get gauge. The yarn is so beautiful and it just looked like a mess. I couldn't stand the thought of investing in size 0 needles and having it not work out, and I thought to myself "Ene's Scarf is beautiful and if I size it down from US 6 - called for in the pattern -- to US 3, it should work." I cast on the bazillion stitches it takes, and knit seven rows before I realized that it looks like complete and utter crap. CRAP. (I know it doesn't really in this picture, and after I saw the picture, I thought "Maybe it doesn't look like crap. But then I looked at the real thing again and realized that yep, it's crap). Now what? I have to rip again and start over again? Why is it so hard to find a pattern that works well with this beautiful yarn? Is it my crappy knitting skills? I don't understand!!!

Ok. I guess I'm fairly "vented" now. I'm just so frustrated. I suspect that this yarn will not work well with an "ethereal" pattern like the Print o' the wave -- one that is so light and airy when the yarn is so solid and decadent. There are patterns in Folk Shawls that I love (like the Birds Nest Shawl and the Sample Shawl) but I don't have enough yarn for them (and I can't afford to buy more of this stuff!). I'm thinking I'll just do a Feather and Fan Shawl -- it seems to have the density to make this yarn really shine. But it is so repetative and I was looking for something that would challenge a little more. Sigh. What do you think?


In the meantime, Orangina and I travelled to the Ralph Stanely Hills of Home Memorial Music Festival, which is up the mountain from my house. It was pretty fun, though it poured like the second flood on Friday and the sun shone like we were in the desert yesterday (I have nice pink arms and a cap-sleeve-tan-line to show for it). Here is Orangina with Ralph:

You can't really tell it's her, but trust me, it is. (By the way, for those of you who liked that O Brother Where Art Thou thing, he happens to be singing "O Death" in this photo).

And here is Ralph and the Clinch Mountain Boys singing in the rain. And when I say rain, I mean RAIN, which you can kinda see in this picture.

Overall, I had a great time, though it was really nice to come home last night, take a shower, and drink so good, strong coffee this morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like a fun festival, even with the rain!

Bummer about the search for your final team mate.... I should actually maybe pick my yarn and swatch before declaring my pattern... Hmm.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Hmm, Ene can take a fairly dense yarn - it really opens out with the blocking. I made an Ene with an extrafine merino on something like 3.75mm needles and it blocked out wonderfully. I also thought it looked utter crap for the entire first chart. In fact I think I had to frog two or three times AND figure out I'd been messing up the double decrease at the centre before I actually got an Ene I could go on to Chart 2 with. It doesn't help that you have to cast on a billion sts to start it...

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home